Thursday 3 September 2015

The Culture Fix's Top 100 Albums of the 60s (Part 4 of 4)




by J. Albert Barr


Again, I want to apologize for the blatant lateness of this final part of my Top 100 Albums of the 60s list. I really wanted to present it similarly to how I presented the first three parts, but time-demanding responsibilities and other articles I've been preoccupied with simply have not afforded me the time to set aside to do the final 25 albums on my list the way I intended to do, so, in the interests of, at last, finishing the countdown, so I can present what I think are the best albums of the 1960s to you fine people, I will, like I recently did for the 70s, 80s and 90s, simply list the albums with their respective covers and give my three favorite tracks off of each. And so, without any further ado, here we go with the last quarter of my Top 100 Albums of the 60s:




25. Music from Big Pink - The Band (1968)













Favorite tracks: "Tears of Rage", "The Weight" and "Chest Fever".


24. In a Silent Way - Miles Davis (1969)













Favorite tracks: The whole thing, really.


23. Odessey and Oracle - The Zombies (1968)













Favorite tracks: "Time of the Season", "Care of Cell 44" and "This Will Be Our Year".


22. Let it Bleed - The Rolling Stones (1969)













Favorite tracks: "Gimme Shelter", "Midnight Rambler" and "You Can't Always Get What You Want".


21. Electric Ladyland - Jimi Hendrix Experience (1968)













Favorite tracks: "All Along the Watchtower", "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" and "Burning of the Midnight Lamp".


20. Astral Weeks - Van Morrison (1968)













Favorite tracks: "Cypress Avenue", "The Way Young Lovers Do" and "Madame George".


19. Five Leaves Left - Nick Drake (1969)













Favorite tracks: "River Man", "Time Has Told Me" and "Cello Song".


18. Magical Mystery Tour - The Beatles (1967)













Favorite tracks: "Penny Lane", "I Am the Walrus" and "Strawberry Fields Forever".


17. Led Zeppelin II - Led Zeppelin (1969)













Favorite tracks: "Whole Lotta Love", "What Is and What Should Never Be" and "Living Loving Maid (She's Just a Woman)".


16. The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground (1969)













Favorite tracks: "Candy Says", "What Goes On" and "I'm Set Free".


15. Beggars Banquet - The Rolling Stones (1968)













Favorite tracks: "Street Fighting Man", "Stray Cat Blues" and "Jigsaw Puzzle".


14. Bringing it All Back Home - Bob Dylan (1965)













Favorite tracks: "Subterranean Homesick Blues", "It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)" and "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue".


13. Are You Experienced - Jimi Hendrix Experience (1967)













Favorite tracks: "Manic Depression", "Fire" and "Are You Experienced?".


12. A Love Supreme - John Coltrane (1964)













Favorite tracks: The whole thing, really.


11. Rubber Soul - The Beatles (1965)













Favorite tracks: "In My Life", "Michelle" and "Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)".


10. Forever Changes - Love (1967)













Favorite tracks: "Red Telephone", "Old Man" and "You Set the Scene".


9. Abbey Road - The Beatles (1969)













Favorite tracks: "Come Together", "Something" and "Because".


8. Blonde on Blonde - Bob Dylan (1966)













Favorite tracks: "I Want You", "4th Time Around" and "Visions of Johanna".


7. The Doors - The Doors (1967)













Favorite tracks: "Light My Fire", "The Crystal Ship" and "The End".


6. The Velvet Underground & Nico - The Velvet Underground (1967)













Favorite tracks: "I'm Waiting for the Man", "Venus in Furs" and "Heroin".


5. The Beatles (White Album) - The Beatles (1968)













Favorite tracks: "Dear Prudence", "Sexy Sadie" and "Happiness is a Warm Gun".


4. Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan (1965)













Favorite tracks: "Like a Rolling Stone", "Ballad of a Thin Man" and "Desolation Row".


3. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles (1967)













Favorite tracks: "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", "She's Leaving Home" and "A Day in the Life".


2. Pet Sounds - The Beach Boys (1966)













Favorite tracks: "Wouldn't It Be Nice", "God Only Knows" and "Caroline, No".


1. Revolver - The Beatles (1966)













Favorite tracks: "Eleanor Rigby", "Here, There and Everywhere" and "Tomorrow Never Knows".



At last, that wraps her up, dear readers! I hope you enjoyed this list of the Top 100 Albums of the 60s, as well as my other lists to the 70s, 80s and 90s. Take care.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment